I just can't bring myself to play this anymore...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sevlin, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Sevlin New Member Club WeLoveBalls

Portugal
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Before reading this, I just want to clarify that this post is not an attack on the commend system of Dota 2; it is more of a personal statement...

My client reshuu’d crashed midway through an @EU-BBL game three days ago, and I was feeling pretty tired (and with prostato’s (in)famous Storm on my team we weren’t going to get far), so I logged off and went to sleep. After relogging today, I noticed that I had received a commend from that game, the "Friendly opponent" one, to be exact. I originally thought someone DDOS'd it or Volvo servers were being crap as usual, as the “Connecting to Dota 2 Game Coordinator” popped up and after that I just gave up that night. But the fact that I received a commend from it was weird to me. I couldn't really remember what that game was about, since it was so short (ty based Storm), but luckily, I had the recording of it on my Dota 2 Replays Match ID list, despite it not showing up on my match history.

I played Bloodseeker def for that game, like I usually do, more recently now because of the new skin, and I thought we had a pretty standard match, which included a couple chilli owngoals, some gray afking and the classic I got drunk pausing. We were down 2-9 (or so I thought..) with our teammates Prostato Storm and Reshuu Earthshaker being real terrors on the field (and also my classic tackle fails), up until the point that my client reshuu’d crashed.

Upon re-watching it, I realized right out the bat that something was... off about that game. The enemy Nightstalker never connected. How didn’t I noticed this during game?? In the loading screen, his/her name never appeared. "Classic Gray" I thought. Either him or its some of those new russian pubs who recently found shelter on @EU-BBL and have those generic cyka characters who probably wouldn’t show up in the loading screen. I shrugged it off as the loading slowly, but surely finished. But after the screen loaded, I saw that he simply had no name. Stranger yet, he was also a Nightstalker. From the beginning, he sat still in his starting spot.

I might as well describe to you what happened during the game. We started out normally, with Reshuu failing Earthshaker combos as usual and Chilibont pinging. I tackled and supported the attacking plays but no one scored a goal in the first 10 minutes or so. Everyone was playing reasonably well, apart from own goals attempts by Jomon and fail curveshots by Prospekt, everyone was focused on the game and trying to get the first goal in, save for the enemy Nightstalker. It was at 15:13 when I used my tackle to get what seemed to be an assured steal on the enemy Puck running towards our empty goal. This is when the game crashed...or when I thought it crashed. My recorder thought otherwise.

In the replay, the screen glitched for about 10 seconds after I tackle’d him, with everything freezing in place. When I was actually playing the game, it was during this glitch that my client froze and closed on me. But in the replay, after the glitch, it showed us all still playing...this REALLY freaked me out, but I kept watching. Apparently, my "character" secured the tackle on Puck, passed the ball foward and continued to advance further in the field. That's when I read the eerie message... "...has reconnected." The no name Nightstalker on the other team got back into the game somehow and started to play. I felt uneasy watching him.

The other players kept at each other, and it didn't take me long to figure out the next oddity. The Puck "I" had tackle’d played the dead emotion and never moved again. When I pressed tab to see if he had DC’d at the time or something, there was none...he just appeared as dead with no respawn timer. "Firstblood!" – the announcer suddenly shouted. WHY IS MY TACKLE KILLING PEOPLE? Suddenly this time someone on my team died, the Earthshaker, and it was the enemy Nightstalker who killed him according to the kill UI. I thought, what the hell, how are kills even showing up here? How is this possible? Dayne?? He never respawned either. I froze in my chair, watching people die, one by one, each death leaving a lasting impression on me.

The Bloodseeker that I was "supposedly" playing did everything I would have done, which weirded me out even further. It was almost like I was still playing in that match. After each player died, none would respawn. I was always on edge whenever I saw the enemy Nightstalker approaching to dangerously my character, to the point that I was gripping my desk. I can't really explain why, but it's a nerve-racking feeling knowing that if your character died, they wouldn't come back... I kept telling myself it was a glitch, but after what happened next, I found it hard to.

There were only 3 people left. Me, the no name Nightstalker, and the enemy defender, a Lina. At this point, my eyes were glued to the screen, and I couldn't help but watch as my character pursued her. This was the death that disturbed me the most. My character tackle’d towards her, as I normally would have done, and met her near the goalkeeping area line. Just as my character got there, I saw the enemy Nightstalker standing still in the field’s corner spamming the “: )” emote...he just stood there and watched my Bloodseeker destroy the enemy Lina.

After her death, everything was still.

The ball she shot towards the goal didn't move, Roshan was frozen staring at the ball stuck in the goal line, particles were frozen in place, along with my character. Everything was frozen except the no name Nightstalker. He moved towards me and paused for a second. The timer in the recording was still going. Curious as to why he just stood there, I checked my settings on the recording. The chat box was unchecked. I remember my fingers shaking a bit as I clicked to check it.

The no name nightstalker had been typing throughout the entire match after the apparent crash. All he said, over and over, every single minute was, "KILL THEM ALL. KILL THEM ALL." Up until I had killed Lina. I felt my heart sink when I read those words, decorated across my screen. His chat bubble popped up, and I was shaking scared of what he was going to say. What he said soon after was what sent chills throughout my entire body.

"Thank you for your assistance."

And that's when the game ended. No goal was scored, no nothing. It just ended. Horrified at what I just witnessed, I immediately took down the names of everyone in that game. After a bit of searching their Steam profiles, I found that none of them had logged in ever since that match. I'm still checking every few minutes, hoping that one of them will get online soon. I don't really know what happened to those people, and I don't think I want to know...

I have since deleted the dota 2 local files from my computer. I don't want anything to do with that replay... I won’t ever feel capable of playing again… "Last Online: 3 days ago" still haunts and chills me to my core. To this day I'm still waiting for the minute those people log in and convince myself that this is nothing but my fucked up imagination.

The image of seeing the "You've recently been commended for your actions in-game, thanks for helping to make the Dota2 community a better place." message on my screen upon logging in is still burned in my head...never have I felt so creeped out, so unworthy of anything….

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. K1ngfisher QOP spammer SEA Chief Wiki Editor Banjoballer

Maldives
    Ratings:
    +44 / 15 / -5
    A HORROR FIC IN MY BANJO HOLY

• This This x 1
  3. Dayne Awful Player, Worse Developer Staff Member Banjoballer Wiki Editor Club Cx

Croatia
    Ratings:
    +170 / 32 / -21
    DID I JUST READ A BANJOBALL CREEPY PASTA?

can we do this contest every month @Mets plsplsplspls

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. K1ngfisher QOP spammer SEA Chief Wiki Editor Banjoballer

Maldives
    Ratings:
    +44 / 15 / -5
    WHY CANT I LIKE THIS MOR THAN ONCE MODS PLS

5. prospeKt New Member Club WeLoveBalls

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    great clickbait and even better real life story bro

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Nilumo New Member Club WeLoveBalls

Denmark
    Ratings:
    +12 / 5 / -0
    For the greater good!
    I mean... writing the great story of course.