Ideas Impressions and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mets, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Mets Administrator Staff Member Banjoballer Zealot Hockey

Ratings:
    +68 / 20 / -3
    I played a few games today for the first time in a while and the first thing I noticed was that I had next to zero lag/delay in every game unless it was a Russian host. Even on @Dayne 's internet I had no lag, which was amazing to me. There's occasional spiking, but far less delay than there used to be, it feels a lot more like wc3. This is probably because the custom game platform is no longer in beta.

A problem I notice in pub games is that they generally tend to be pretty unorganized, I think if: 1. there was some incentive to play in a more organized fashion and 2. some sort of visual/audio aid to help new players, it would alleviate this issue.

One way to incentivize games would be to have a stat-tracking system. I know this is something you've looked into, but I'm just reiterating how valuable I think it'd be to the game. It'd surely increase activity (people love to hoard ELO or whatever), would make people want to try and play more organized games, and would let us see what people are playing the most, possibly which heroes are played the most and have the highest win rates, etc.

I'm not entirely sure what could be done to help new players, I'm sure some other people would have ideas. Some general things (if possible) would be to organize the different heroes into their best roles, possibly prevent having more than 1 of each hero per team, having pop ups during the game with tips (which could be disabled), that sort of thing.

Lastly, apparently this map is pretty popular with Europeans and Asians, but not so much with Americans/Canadians. If you log on during the afternoon you can find hundreds of people playing, but at night there's anywhere from 20-90. It'd be helpful if more of them posted here so you could get their impressions too, since they're the ones largely playing.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mirage New Member

Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    lol at "even on Dayne's internet"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • This This x 1
  3. Dayne Awful Player, Worse Developer Staff Member Banjoballer Wiki Editor Club Cx

United States
    Ratings:
    +170 / 32 / -21
    psh my new internet is fine :p

But yeah, high priority for me of non-gameplay things are adding a GameInfo button back in with description + strats for every hero included and stat-tracking.

4. K1ngfisher QOP spammer SEA Chief Wiki Editor Banjoballer

Maldives
    Ratings:
    +44 / 15 / -5
    I have better ping to Dayne than most people I play to overseas. (Other than Muenchies and Australia NBN hosts)

5. Mets Administrator Staff Member Banjoballer Zealot Hockey

Ratings:
    +68 / 20 / -3
    Lol, you disconnected like 10 times the next game

6. Dayne Awful Player, Worse Developer Staff Member Banjoballer Wiki Editor Club Cx

United States
    Ratings:
    +170 / 32 / -21
    Hahaha that's because someone moved my router and then ended up disconnecting it during the match. I didn't realize it but I was apparently on wifi for the entire match.

7. Lethal Moderator Staff Member Banjoballer

Ratings:
    +71 / 23 / -12
    I think there are plenty of things we could do for new players, but none of them are simple. Grouping hero choices into their roles is definitely a good idea. It may also be cool to have a game mode where hero roles are randomly assigned, and a player can only pick from heroes in that specific role. I'm not sure how much I would actually like this, but we could have a mode also that randomizes who the GK is (just a message, "you're the GK") after each goal (like ZH) and start the GK in his own net.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mets Administrator Staff Member Banjoballer Zealot Hockey

Ratings:
    +68 / 20 / -3
    Yeah, I think those are all good ideas especially the one about goalkeepers. It makes Zealot Hockey matches really structured, which is a good thing.

9. iLoveBud Casual Player Banjoballer

United States
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I agree that assigning the GK role to a player would give the matches more structure and organization, however, I disagree with the part about randomizing the GK only because there are people out there who are less adept to playing the role. I think something more along the lines of having the GK picked first before anybody else can pick in champion select might be better, that way someone who is capable of playing a good GK can have the role, or at least someone who is fine with having it. The problem with this would be that people would complain/troll/waste time in champ select i.e. qq, picking GK role and not playing it at all, and organizing who gets the role. So maybe not this exact setup, but just a base idea that you can build off of if you choose to do so.

I also like the idea of setting a limit to how many types of champions can be picked in one game. For example, making a limit of only 1 anti-mage would benefit the game just cause of how high their mobility is. As you can imagine, if a team has no mobility and a team has like 3 anti-mages on field then the anti-mages can force a 3v1 vs the GK on a fast turn around. Limiting the champion will also cause more arguments between players who both want the same hero, but it makes for more of a fair game. I also want to point out that this limit should only be applied to certain heroes i.e. having 2 earthshaker is fine, 1 go gk 1 go offense, nbd. Implementing this later (or in another game mode like you were saying) would be ideal just so Dota Strikers can (hopefully) attract more players without limitations to their fun.

Just my opinion, thanks for the read. Looking forward to what you have in stored for the game.

• Like Like x 2
  10. K1ngfisher QOP spammer SEA Chief Wiki Editor Banjoballer

Maldives
    Ratings:
    +44 / 15 / -5
    For a casual pub game, I'm completely against this. Even though I get peeved when my teammates decides to pick 2 Queens with me and suck the entire game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biz Top 5 Banjoballer Club Cx

Ratings:
    +47 / 26 / -4
    Players should be able to repick until the kickoff or even until a first goal is scored. Too many pubs I've seen my entire team just lock Invoker (or Lina now, since that is the default selection I believe).

A entire competitive mode should be added that a host can control. Where you can only choose 1 of each hero/each team designates a goalie/teams draft 1 2 2 2 1 like we used to do. Once you get some sort of structure like this going on in the mainstream game then you can start adding 'teh elos' or tracking stats.

I feel like doing the latter before creating such a structure would make it a worthless statistic/metric (and thus become wasted development). Think blind pick smurfing on League where you can [insert current top meta champion here] every game freely and face 50% of teams that don't run a jungler for example.

You need to push the populace into healthy habits (meta) so they can learn to play properly. And the more people that play properly the more enjoyable the overall game experience will be. This being why I personally don't play even though I enjoy the game. I tried playing with Dayne a little while ago and echoed the same sentiments to him.

12. iLoveBud Casual Player Banjoballer

United States
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Reason we were able to do this was because everyone knew skill levels and roles of players in the game. Putting this draft mode into pubs, if thats what you meant by mainstream games, would be, not pointless, but hard to work with because nobody really knows what each other does and how good they are. ELO ratings/stat tracking would be the solution to this so putting the system in before draft mode wouldn't be an idea to throw out from the start. However, I do agree with you in that without the structure, the ratings/stats could be deemed worthless. For now, the developers need to put in small enhancements into the drafting system that will slowly guide pubs in the direction you want them to be in, otherwise I feel like pubs would be a mess.

If I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize, but that's what I took from it.

13. Dayne Awful Player, Worse Developer Staff Member Banjoballer Wiki Editor Club Cx

United States
    Ratings:
    +170 / 32 / -21
    I need to actually implement mode voting before game before I implement any of these (including score/time).

Also Biz what shit ELO are you playing norms in that there's a jungler 50% of the time LOL.

14. Biz Top 5 Banjoballer Club Cx

Ratings:
    +47 / 26 / -4
    My alternate account is like level 14, I made one to play with friends who weren't level 30.

15. Nilumo New Member Club WeLoveBalls

Denmark
    Ratings:
    +12 / 5 / -0
    Hey
    I'm personal not a big fan on putting roles on each hero and specially not telling how and where each hero should be played. I'm a fairly new player (1,5 week) and I think part of the fun is to try out each hero in different ways and see how it plays out or be amazed when I see other people make it work different that I originally thought. I think putting roles for new player to see would limit their creativity and more important they would feel empowered to correct other people when they don't play a hero as they think it fits.

To new players I would put more focus to passing and being passed. To get this flow going successfully is absolute the most fun about the game in my opinion and showing this to new players a soon as possible would be my priority. It is so basic and importent, that in a pub game if just 2 of my teammates knows the basic of this, the game is pretty much already won and usually very one sided. Then it doesn't matter which hero they pick or how and where they play them.

Not sure the best way to get this information out to new players, but the basic of it would be telling them, when they got the ball the goal is to pass the ball successfully to a teammate. And when a teammate got a ball make yourself passable as far away as possible while still in kick range, and being spread out compared to your other teammates. Imagen a picture could help here.
    Make new player a part of this teamwork and they have to be hooked on the game. At least that is how I felt.
    Edit: English

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  16. Mets Administrator Staff Member Banjoballer Zealot Hockey

Ratings:
    +68 / 20 / -3
    What I meant in regards to "roles" was like Dota 2 has for heroes. I.E., a descriptor on the hero card saying what roles best suits the heroes. So instead of "durable, carry, support, etc." you'd have "defender, goaltender, striker, etc." as roles.

To those who don't want any assisted structure in matches, do you prefer when games are more organized or less organized? From what I've seen in the vast majority of pub games I've played are players running around randomly not knowing what to do. In my experience, organized, structured matches are infinitely more rewarding and fun.

17. K1ngfisher QOP spammer SEA Chief Wiki Editor Banjoballer

Maldives
    Ratings:
    +44 / 15 / -5
    I believe games will automatically become more organized if there was a pro scene people could follow.

• This This x 1
  18. Dayne Awful Player, Worse Developer Staff Member Banjoballer Wiki Editor Club Cx

United States
    Ratings:
    +170 / 32 / -21
    R.I.P.

19. Nilumo New Member Club WeLoveBalls

Denmark
    Ratings:
    +12 / 5 / -0
    I very much agree.
    But my point was, having invoker agro, ES defender and NS goalkeeper(my guess of what roles they offical wouldn't have), is not the kind of unstructured play which troubles the pub games in my opinion. People use their abilities close to useless anyway, so each hero is pretty much the same.
    What feels unstructured to me is while you have the ball, one teammate is too far away to pass, and another is so close to melee range, that you actually have to try dodge him. Or when a teammate has the ball he tries to run through the enemies toward their goal instead of passing the ball, which surprisingly only almost never works.

20. tajgi New Member The Star Strikers

Slovakia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    hi guys, i have a suggestion..:)
    sometimes when i play as GK i f...k up becouse i click outside the field (behind hedge) and the hero wants to go around (he changes the diraction)...can be this fixed ? :/ idk ..but it will be much better when u click outside the hedge, the hero just keeps walking into it (wall,edge whatever), trying not go around... i know my english suck..i hope u know what i mean :D..