Open Source?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by digitalblade, Jun 26, 2015.

1. digitalblade New Member

Germany
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Have you considered moving to Open Source development? If you are not familiar with OSS I would gladly give you a free book that should get you started. If you have considered it but prefer to work on closed source could you give us a hint why. I have never seen much in the gaming industry done in OSS but since this is a Mod it only make sense to consider it. The bug tracking and user feedback on github is very useful.

2. Marker New Member Banjoballer Zealot Hockey

United States
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I feel that for a game, its more of a creative vision for the creator. Opposed to software, which is used for a specific purpose. Making such things open source mostly interferes with creative vision which doesn't exist in software. Though in this case, a more technical game, I see this working, but considering there are different opinions of issues of balance and character ideas, it seems more logical to have it closed source to have a definite version.

3. digitalblade New Member

Germany
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree the usual case is that games are not Open Source because most of the work is on Art and that is not doable with OSS since it's a personal choice. But since this is a mod and the majority of the art work is done by the original game, what you are left with are scripts and the Media you added. I am just opening this discussion since I saw for the first time an OSS mod in Dota2 (reflexdota) since reborn came out. And I was surprised why so few moders never think about this possibility. Since making a Mode is so similar to Open Source. You are given a big product that you can use and build your own on top of it. You cannot resell it, since it is not your game, even if the mode and game design is yours alone. You only benefit if the project gets really popular and played a lot. But very often Mods are dropped because there is not enough time or repay value to be continued. I just wondered why so few moders would not go to OSS that sounds ideal for covering this issues. You are basically getting free support and fixes only if you agree that they are correct with your idea for the project. It also involves everyone that is playing the Mode and is able to help you to make it better in his/hers spare time for free if willing. After all you are not getting anything if you keep the source closed are you? It's not like some one will steal it, modify it a bit and make a better mode then you. Copy cat mods or games in general never work.